Marzavas and Son Jewelers looking to continue its decades of service to community - The Morning Journal
Saturday, June 8, 2019

Marzavas and Son Jewelers looking to continue its decades of service to community - The Morning Journal

Marzavas and Son Swiss American Jewelers, 800 Broadway in Lorain, is looking to continue its decades of providing quality jewelry service to Northeast Ohio.

“My father (James Marzavas) started the business on this corner (Broadway and Eighth Street) over 60 years ago,” said John Marzavas, 48, owner of the store. “He had come to America, from Greece, after World War II, when he was 17 and decided to set up shop right here in Lorain.”

Marzavas said the business initially did not sell jewelry at the volume it does today.

“The initial business was repairs,” he said. “There were more jewelry stores in the area in those days, so my father would often have repairs from other jewelry stores.

"It was focused not just on jewelry repairs, but watch and clock repairs as well. My father used to make a good deal in grandfather clock repairs; that has obviously gone down in recent years.

"We still offer jewelry repair, but we have been selling more and more of our own diamonds each year. A lot of the jewelry stores have left, for one reason or another, but we are still right here on Broadway.”

Marzavas said he always wanted to work in the family business.

“I used to do runs for my dad when I was young, and I would see if we could get any jobs,” he said. “I then came in officially in 1992 with my dad.

"I got a gemologist degree and did apprenticeships. I really didn’t see myself doing anything else, and I have loved continuing to build the business.”

The new Broadway

Marzavas said he looks forward to what the future holds for Broadway.

“We did a major revamp in the business around two years ago and we expanded,” he said. “It’s great to now see the construction that is being done on Broadway.

"The efforts will attract more businesses and make it a more appealing place for folks to come down. It is a way to revitalize this area that used to be booming.

"The streetscape will look fantastic when it is done; it makes it worth it for the businesses that have stuck around all these years.”

Marzavas said he loves that his business is in Lorain.

“Our customers, some of whom have been coming here for years, know where we are, and that’s important,” he said. “When you move somewhere else, it comes with some issues that we didn’t really want to deal with, and the community has been so supportive.

"We have seen a steady growth in business, and Lorain has been a great place to do business; we have had no reason to move.”

Marzavas said a majority of the business’ sales are for the bridal collection.

“Bridal is where we do the most; it accounts for roughly 75 percent of our business,” he said. “We have grown a younger customer base with people from Lorain, Amherst, Avon Lake, Westlake and Rocky River; we have become a destination store.”

Relaxed setting

Marzavas said the family-owned, family-oriented atmosphere is what the business prides itself in.

“It’s not high-pressured, it’s a more relaxed and inviting feel than the chain stores,” he said. “I won’t rush up and try to sell you something.

“I’ll help you out and make the process a much easier one than you would get elsewhere. We also provide the repair part of the business.

"We do all kinds of diamond and watch repairs, so you can buy and repair from the same location.”

Future expansion

Marzavas said he sees the business expanding in the future.

“Maybe 10 years down the line, I plan on expanding the business,” he said. “I would like to add more space, but also stay in the same location.

"Customers my father had refer their children to us. So, it has been amazing to see the generations of families that continue to come to us. I look forward to continuing our business right here in Lorain.”

Jim Novak of Amherst said he has been a customer at Marzavas and Son for 15 years.

“I wouldn’t think of going anywhere else,” Novak said. “People at the store are very knowledgeable. I remember when I bought a three-diamond necklace for my wife (Pearl) for our anniversary.

"I staged it as a surprise for a restaurant waitress to give it to her. Later, John called and asked how it went. He’s more than a jeweler; he’s a friend.”

Frank K. Cellozzi said his family and the Marzavas family have known each other for years.

“John’s dad and my grandfather (Frank P. Cellozzi), who owned Seymour’s Jewelry which was across the street from Marzavas and Son, were good friends,” Cellozzi said. “It was a very friendly atmosphere between the two stores, they shared business and different repairs.

"It was an Italian guy and Greek guy who came to Lorain around the same time and helped each other out.”

Cellozzi said the bond between the families has continued to today.

“I still go to John for jewelry needs,” he said. “I bought my wife’s (Kristin) engagement ring and our wedding bands from him last year.

"John did a phenomenal job. It was all custom done, and he took the time to make sure it was something he was proud of before he sold it to me.”




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -