Jewelry That Beats The Summer Heat - Forbes
Thursday, July 25, 2019

Jewelry That Beats The Summer Heat - Forbes

I usually like it hot. In winter, I sleep in cashmere and hang out in down “booties” style slippers that might be suitable for Alaska.  Yes, I am a sight, but at least I am cozy and warm in my Manhattan apartment. One winter, I remember it being so cold both inside and outside that I thought I would have to re-size all of my rings because they would fly off of my fingers every time I moved my hands. Instead, I went without rings that year, which for me, is like going without lipstick or mascara for most women.

As a jewelry enthusiast, I rarely leave the house without a layered neck or stacked wrist or fingers and/ or earring climbing up my lobes.  But over this past week of summer, whenever I walked out of the door of my apartment, Manhattan’s heatwave felt as if I walked into a pizza oven, with humidity that makes Florida in August seem arid. I found myself removing my mixed modern, vintage and antique pile of bracelets I wore to sleep, shower and exercise in for the past year. I opted for two ultra-lightweight pendants instead of heavier charm necklaces and took off more rings than I usually put on.

As I was re-styling my jewelry choices, I figured out how to add a little sparkle and shine without feeling hot, sticky and weighed down. Here are some tips and great jewels to beat the summer heat, while keeping you looking cool, chic and elegant.

Hair jewels are the most desirable for the summer months. They can add a feminine touch to shorter hair and if you have long tresses, they can keep you cooler during long hot days. By learning how to work with them, they create pretty and romantic or ultra-modern updos when your hair goes limp or starts to frizz. There are bejeweled headbands, combs and barrettes but if you are taken with jewelry that does double duty, try pinning your ear climbers into your hair by squeezing the backs tightly like you do on your ear and securing them with a hidden bobby pin or two. You can do the same with brooches as well.

Colette’s 18k gold Burning Thistle hair comb with champagne diamonds and pearls. Photo: Colette

Deborah Pagani’s large sleek hair pin. Photo: Deborah Pagani

Colette’s 18k gold Galaxia headband with diamonds. Photo: Colette

Nouvel Heritage’s Mystic Arrow star earring with diamonds and sapphires also works as a clip in the hair. Photo: Nouvel Heritage

Speaking of  brooches, they can be worn on the straps of a tank or dress or in a circular formation around a classic crew neck T-shirt or on the side of the waistband of a breezy summer skirt when you don’t want to feel too much metal around your neck wrist or fingers. These and small bar pins or fancy diamond-encrusted safety pins can enliven any outfit.

Gabriella Kiss' pin of 18K branch with  22K gold butterfly. Photo: Quandrum Gallery

Lene Vibe decorates her 18K gold safety pins with delicate flowers and drops dainty nature and garden-inspired charms mixed with pearls and other gemstones. Photo: Lene Vibe

From left to right: Doyle & Doyle Art Nouveau enameled pansy, Macklowe Gallery Art Nouveau enameled flower with a diamond fly. Photos: Doyle & Doyle and Macklowe Gallery

Doyle & Doyle 14K gold small lily pad Art Nouveau brooch. Photo: Doyle & Doyle

When it comes to rings, it’s a good idea to cut down your stackables to half the amount you usually wear or choose one pretty thin or medium width eternity band. You will be surprised how it stands out when you are wearing little else on your hands or wrists.In the sweltering heat, the look of ice is truly appealing. A variety of cuts in diamonds, white sapphires, white topaz and rock crystal all will create an ultra streamlined look and just the hint of sparkle that will allow your hands to make a statement which says 'I’m cool and comfortable' rather than ‘my fingers are swollen and I’m trapped inside my rings.’

Bondeye’s  14K yellow gold rose cut rock crystal eternity band. Photo: Bondeye

Gillian Conroy’s Harlow yellow gold, white diamond band in the style of a small tiara or diadem. Photo: Gillian Conroy

Sethi Couture’s antique style 18K gold diamond band. Photo: Sethi Couture.

Necklace layering should also be kept to a minimum. Yes, I feel your pain. It’s a jewelry enthusiasts dream to shed the clothing layers of winter for the jewelry layers that can be seen in T-shirts, tanks and summer dresses. But, how good are these going to look when they are sticking to you and causing you to feel like your carrying the weight of the world instead of meaningful sentimental motifs and messages around your neck. Save these for when the temperature settles down to the 80s rather than 99 with an index of 105 degrees. If you do opt for layers around your neck, choose a combination of different styles and gauges of delicate chain. Mixed links are less likely to get tangled then ultra-fine chains of the same style, weight and gauge.

Amali’ Jewelry's  long pearl textile chain is lightweight and can stand alone and is finely designed enough that it can be worn layered with one or two shorter styles. Photo: Quandrum Gallery

Single Stone’s antique rose cut diamond solitaire set into octagonal bezel necklace. Photo: Single Stone

Shay Jewelry’s baguette lariat necklace. Photo: Shay Jewelry

Wear earrings that are so light you won’t feel them in your ears. You can try different styles of drops studs, small hoops with tiny stones, wear them as a pair or combined and mismatched if you have multiple holes in your lobes.. If you go long, go light or the minute you walk outside, you will want to immediately go back inside to take them off.

Hannah G'a linear bead and ball drop earring are feather-light and pared down and effortless.  Photo: Hannah G

Mizuki's baroque pearl and diamond-accented earrings are unfussy, lighthearted, yet elegant and graceful. Mizuki Jewelry

Floral designs are magical, particularly when they are designed in 18K with small diamonds and are subtle and joyful like these Annette Ferdinandsen Calla Lily earrings which mean magnificent beauty in the 'language of flowers'.

Selin Kent Ersa Ear Threaders are sold separately but also look wonderful as a pair with floating pear-shaped diamonds at the bottom. Photo: Selin Kent

Sofia Zakia's pearl and diamond studs that are perfect for any time of the year




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -