Worldwise: Jewelry Designer Suzanne Syz’s Favorite Things - Barron's
Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Worldwise: Jewelry Designer Suzanne Syz’s Favorite Things - Barron's

In 1980s New York, Syz befriended the likes of Jean-Michel Basquiat, Jeff Koons, Julian Schnabel, and Andy Warhol. Eric Jansen

Suzanne Syz’s eclectic, unconventional jewelry designs reflect her years living among some of the most influential figures of the 20th century Pop Art world. She was born in Zurich and studied in Paris before going on to live in the New York of the 1980s, where the downtown art scene would make waves through fashion, art, film, and music that still resonate today. 

During that time, Syz befriended the likes of Jean-Michel Basquiat, Jeff Koons, Julian Schnabel, and Andy Warhol. In fact, a Warhol photograph of iconic entertainer Liza Minnelli currently adorns her showroom in Geneva, Switzerland—the home base for her business, Suzanne Syz Art Jewels.

Syz, reflects fondly on her early days in New York, calling it “a time of carefree living, a feeling of freedom, which today seems lost.” She adds, “New York City was pretty dangerous at the time, but it offered the best in creativity, art, music, and was totally wired. The place to be at the time.”

Her current designs range from earrings inspired by Warhol’s famed “Campbell’s Soup Cans” to custom necklaces, brooches, and watches. All of her works are limited editions.

“I love to bring new ideas to jewelry design, mixing with my art influence and using new materials which are ever more exciting—such as titanium, aluminum, or zirconium,” Syz says of her pieces. “You can work on big scales as they are light and more comfortable, and you can also do many more colors in those metals. It brings jewelry to another level. Fun, whimsical, but always with the very best of craftsmanship.”

Beyond reflecting on her passion for jewelry design, Syz shared with Penta some of her favorite things.

My favorite neighborhood in the world is… Chelsea in New York City. I love the mix of rough streets and contemporary buildings, along with the warehouses where galleries show great quality art. 

The one thing in my kitchen I can’t live without is… my chef because, I’m useless in cooking!

If I were to buy a piece of art, it would be by… I just bought “Kanye West” by Heji Shin. I’ve always collected young artists because their subjects represent the “now.” I love art pieces that represent the time we are living in.

The best book I read in the last year is… Chronicles of a Liquid Society by Umberto Eco. He’s a great intellectual writer.

A passion of mine that few people know about is… cars! My dad taught me how to drive. I drive fast, as if I’m the only person on the road.

The one trip I’ve taken that I would love to do again… my trip to the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador. I did that trip with my youngest son to celebrate his graduation. I’ve never seen as much beauty in nature than there. I’d love to go again, but I’m afraid it will not be the same with all the climate changes.

The next destination on my travel itinerary is… New York City for work, but I love it! Then, I will go to Mustique Island in January for the blues festival to relax.

The thing that gets me up in the morning is… my dogs. I have three of them pulling me out of bed for a morning walk.

The restaurant/bar in my hometown that I love to take a visitor to is… in the summer, Izumi on the rooftop of the Four Seasons in Geneva, and Balila, the new Lebanese restaurant of Hotel Longemalle in Geneva.

A person who inspired me to do what I do is… many of the artists I met in New York City in the ’80s— Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Clemente, et cetera—to the friends who supported me at the very beginning and all may collectors who understand my work and supported it over the years.

If I could have a drink with anyone, anywhere it would be… Jean- Michel Basquiat. We had so much fun when we used to meet up in New York City in the early ’80s. We both loved exchanging dirty jokes to hilarious laughter from both of us!




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -