Lance's Journal: Drew Curtright Jewelry Art, Oct. 8, 2018 - 1011now
Monday, October 8, 2018

Lance's Journal: Drew Curtright Jewelry Art, Oct. 8, 2018 - 1011now

Drew Curtright is living the dream of any young artist. She's creating art full-time and she's adapted a beautiful etching process that she discovered while studying photography at Nebraska Wesleyan University. Drew says, "Their art program requires you to take a 3-D art course as well and so I decided to take metalsmithing for my 3-D course and it never let me go."

Just five years out of college, this 2013 Nebraska Wesleyan graduate is a full-time jewelry maker that spends many hours a week working in her studio...dreaming and creating. She says, "We all wear jewelry for different reasons, sometimes it reminds us of a loved one or sometimes we just want to say, 'Hey, I'm wacky and cool, I have this big piece of jewelry on.' But we all have our own meanings to what we wear and I think that's really amazing."

This 28-year-old says it was studying ancient civilizations in an art history class at Wesleyan that really helped her formulate the look feel of her jewelry line, "That really got me interested in thinking about why we create art and then why we adorn ourselves with art."

Drew merges those two thoughts into her jewelry, "One of the first things I start with generally is the piece that I want to use from historical pattern work. Like with this piece here I started with these elongated pieces which have kind of an Egyptian feel to them."

Drew is proud to have her fingerprints on every piece of jewelry that she sells, "There's blood, sweat and sometimes tears in each piece."

This Lincoln Northeast High School graduate says the time in now for one of a kind, hand-made art, "I think what I've heard a lot, especially from people in my generation is that they're tired of the mass produced feel of things."

Drew's jewelry is available for purchase at the Noyes Art Gallery in Lincoln or at https://ift.tt/2ypuEKw

And if you're interested in meeting Drew and seeing her work in person, drop by the Noyes Art Gallery during the "Third Friday" event -- coming up on October 19th.




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -