Anissa Kermiche On Her Jewelry And Ceramic Collections Inspired By The Female Form - Forbes
Thursday, September 19, 2019

Anissa Kermiche On Her Jewelry And Ceramic Collections Inspired By The Female Form - Forbes

Looking at the fine jewelry and newly introduced home ceramics collection by Anissa Kermiche, there’s no surprise that she’s inspired by fine arts.

matchesfashion.com

And you've guessed it, she's also big on sensuality. Kermiche incorporates this into her designs through the use of natural materials (such as her favorite, the pearl) as well as raw lines and curves, and then there are the shapes of breasts, legs, and derrières. 

Anissa Kermiche

She’s such an advocate infest that she’s recently designed a series of ceramic objects, that draw inspiration from the female form. Anissa’s designs, a Love Handles’ and ‘Jugs Jug’ were originally designed for her own home but received interest when friends wanted to make personal orders. The collection launched on Matches exclusively to much success. On the horizon, Anissa is planning a 20-piece objects collection that will expand her interiors range.

matchesfashion.com

Felicity Carter: What was your first fashionable memory?

Anissa Kermiche: It is from a very early age as I have always been extremely opinionated about what I wanted to wear and I remember having constant debates with my mum! She wanted to dress me like a doll in pretty, feminine dress and all I wanted was to be dressed like the Spice Girls!

My first trip to London when I was 16 years old was a revelation. I remember buying my first pair of ‘edgy’ shoes - a collaborated between the brand United Nude and the architect Rem Koolhass. The shoes looked like an elevated ballerina show with a stool shaped heel. I have always loved architectural looking heels and that pair was the beginning of my love affair with eccentric shoes.

Anissa Kermiche

FC: How, when, why did you get into the industry?

AK: I had a very academic upbringing and studied engineering and computer science and was working for corporates companies in France, after three years of working in a male-dominated corporate industry as a consultant I decided to quit and throw myself hand-first into jewelry studies at Central Saint Martins. I launched my eponymous line in 2016 and it’s taken off from there.

FC: How would you sum up the aesthetic?

AK: My pieces are all about embracing femininity and sensuality - the women I love to see wearing my designs are bold and empowered yet strive to retain a sense of femininity in their jewelry. I regularly use raw lines, curves, circles and raw materials like pearls as well as feminine body shapes including breasts, legs, and bums! 

matchesfashion.com

FC: What is luxury to you?

AK: An appreciation for beautiful design, the best materials, a unique experience with the product and a story that inspires. 

FC: Which was the first-ever piece that you designed and how did it come about?

AK: My first design was an earring named ‘Corne de Gazelle - it is a horn-shaped pearl earring that goes through the ear and has a little diamond on the first pearl. It is made by my favorite materials: pearls, gold, and diamonds. It is the piece that was spotted by buyers four years ago and it still sells really well, even now. 

FC: What was on your current mood board?

AK: My current mood board is full of sculptures from Brancusi, Barbara Hepworth, Calder Mobiles etc. A lot of inspiration comes from Fine Arts - again going back to the point above about incorporating sensuality in my designs. I recently launched an Objects collection - a series of body shapes vases that I am developing further next year. 

matchesfashion.com

FC: Tell us about the process…

AK: I start every design with a 2D sketch that I turn into a 3D design achieved with CAD software. It took me three years to master this process and is so handy when designing now! My background in engineering made me appreciate technology in designing my pieces. We then print a 3D model in wax and create the mold from it. I source pearls and stones during jewelry trade fairs that I attend several times a year overseas. 

FC: What materials are your favorite to work with?

AK: Pearls are my absolute favorite. Their round shape and white color make them timeless and easy to work with. They allow an infinite amount of designs and inspired me endlessly. 

matchesfashion.com

FC: What's the best piece of advice that you've been given when it comes to handling the industry?

AK: Always be nice to everyone, even if you disagree with them! The industry is much smaller than you think! 

Shop the label at anissakermiche.com.




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -