Sofia Zakia: A Collection Of Feminine and Fierce Jewelry - Forbes
Friday, March 8, 2019

Sofia Zakia: A Collection Of Feminine and Fierce Jewelry - Forbes

From top to bottom: Sofia Zakia's Altair ring, Opal Wandering Star ring, Vela Ring. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Here is the third in my series of entrepreneurial women in jewelry in celebration of International Women's Day.

Montreal-based Sofia Ajram of Sofia Zakia creates jewelry inspired by such diverse elements as flying saucers, witchcraft, tarot cards, mythological icons, ballets and literature to name just a few of the influences in her imaginative and enchanting repertoire. A born storyteller, Sofia has kept a journal of her life and her interests, from the mysterious to the poetic. All of these aspects appear in Sofia’s delicate and intricately designed pieces, that are at once feminine and fierce in their attention to detail and to the alluring nature of the combinations of gemstones, shapes and tactile interest. Although many of her inspirations are of a contrasting nature, it’s in Sofia’s way of blending the duality that allows each piece to tell its own tale to its new owner and to take on new stories as the piece is worn.

Here’s a glimpse into the mind of this strong, independent and wildly creative designer:

Sofia Zakia working in her studio. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Were you interested in jewelry from an early age?

“My mother and I traveled to Bermuda quite a bit when I was a young girl. My mom had thought that she wanted to move there. We never did, but it piqued some interest in jewelry when my mother gave me a gold bracelet she found there with engraved ornamentation on it that was handmade by Bermudian artisans. I loved that bracelet and still have it today. But growing up I was more interested in horror and sci-fi movies, literature and mythology which influenced my first foray into design which was graphic design and visual arts. I did, however, have an affinity for ancient and antique jewels. I loved that they had survived for so long and the beauty of the handmade craft, and with many of the pieces, the meaning behind them.

What prompted you to launch the Sofia Zakia collection?

“I had been involved in quite a few creative endeavors and still work in the visual arts, photography and cosplay.  But it wasn’t until I enrolled in a wax carving class that opened up a world of opportunity for me. It allowed me to express my stories, dreams and fantasies three-dimensionally.  My collection is a combination of my fascination with the art of goldsmithing, jewelry’s powerful and symbolic history and my interpretation of how to translate the narrative into an object of wearable beauty.

Sofia Zakia's Her Cup Of Stars Pendant. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Sofia Zakia's Tarot pendant collection. Photo: Sofia Zakia

When did you launch the Sofia Zakia collection?

“In 2016. I launched with the idea to meld my love of lore and legends from different cultures with pieces that were both universal and personal. As designers, we can tell our stories and beliefs through the jewelry we create but it’s the person who buys the piece that will ultimately ascribe their own meaning to it. Jewelry is so intimate yet there are messages and meanings, both mystical and magical that each one of us can relate to in or be affected by in different ways. I always want my jewelry to say something, always with a little humor so the pieces never get too esoteric.”

Can you describe your most popular collection?

“Our best-selling collection playfully explores the spirit of astral entities and flying saucers. Within this collection you can find all of the mysteries of the planets, solar system and cosmos in a series of rings, pendants and earrings with elegant, refined and ultra-feminine details that evoke a feeling of pure magic. Our Wandering Star ring is a favorite in this collection and has grown to be its own small capsule group in a variety of vivid gemstones, diamonds and petite to larger silhouettes. This ring was inspired by the excerpt of the E. E. Cummings poem, which reads, 'yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: yours is the darkness of my soul’s return –you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars'"

Sofia Zakia's Royal Dynasty Solari UFO Ring

Sofia Zakia's Rainbow Wandering Star ring. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Can you talk a bit about how you see your pieces being worn?

“Layered and stack and the different collections mixed together. They are designed to all intermingle and work together in a way in which the wearer finds most significant and most telling about who she is.  I love when I see new combinations that customers put together that I hadn’t even thought about while designer the collections. That is a true joy for me.”

Rings from different Sofia Zakia collections stacked together. Photo by Sofia Zakia

What are some of your other collections?

I create small capsule collections throughout the year so I have designed a number of them since launching in 2016.

I think those that represent the brand are inspired by very different feelings. These are two that represent this juxtaposition of influences but come together gracefully in the design aesthetic.

Grace of the Classics is a small collection of rings, based on the legendary classic ballets such as The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. These great ballets express touching meditations on beauty, truth and love and are rendered into the most delicate and expressive pieces of jewelry.

Sofia Zakia Winter Waltz ring. Photo: Sofia Zakia

And… Lunar Athame is evocative of magic and white witchcraft. It is a luminous collection of talismans, totems and visionary tales woven through the female unconscious. Wands, moons, and elements of tarot and ancient magic are all attributes and symbols of the feminine mystique.”

Sofia Zakia Palmistry ring. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Sofia Zakia's Lover's tarot card pendant. Photo: Sofia Zakia

Sustainability and Ethical resourcing are very important to you, can you tell us how this is applied to your collection?

“All of our pieces handmade by me with the help of our local caster (who uses recycled gold) and our setter in Montreal. I am committed to quality control of our pieces so they will endure the test of time and wear.

I also use conflict-free natural diamonds and my goal is to continue to raise consciousness about the sustainability of the pieces as well as their meaning. Additionally, We practice environmental principles and work within non-toxic, low energy requirements for local production. We work with Canadian suppliers who I trust to find materials that are meticulously sourced and exceptional in quality.”

How do you see the collection evolving?

“I will continue on the same path of creating small capsule groups that are linked to other visual and artistic expressions in our culture and the cultures that came before. The mix of iconography and from the past and the present and the way in which I interpret all of these inspirations in my delicate and highly detailed designs will continue to allow my brand to grow organically and hopefully, women will continue to respond, relate and ultimately collect my pieces to help express their own narratives. It’s what I strive for every day and will continue to do well into the future.




- Copyright © Jewelry - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -